Join Our Team
Do you have a passion for artisan cuisine? Do you enjoy planning events, telling stories, and/or enlightening & inspiring others? If so, our part-time Culinary Tour Guide position is a great way to make some extra money while having fun, meeting people, and being a Charlotte culinary scene ambassador.
As a Culinary Tour Guide for FEAST Food Tours & Culinary Events, Inc., you will oversee and execute the provided food tour logistics that showcase and tell the stories of Charlotte’s culinary scene while providing excellent customer service and vendor assistance for an overall memorable experience.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Understand completely all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs.
- Ensure that all guests are given responsive, friendly and courteous service at all times. It is important to provide a WOW for our guests to make sure they feel special and valued.
- Ensure that all food, experiences, and services are consistent with the tour logistics, safety, & standards.
- Follow & execute tour itineraries by keeping a comfortable on-time pace & the group safely together.
- Will relay accurate historical facts, general city or food-related commentary, and information to guests in an entertaining, informative way. May also need to help the dialogue initiating questions for vendors.
- Will have to think on your feet and be able to work independently to solve unexpected issues or ease uncomfortable situations in a fast-paced environment.
- Assist in developing and maintaining healthy vendor relationships.
- Be able and willing to assist the restaurant service teams as needed in roles such as serving food/beverage, minor clean up, taking any ancillary orders, and/or gathering of necessary supplies to make a guest more comfortable.
- Must have a record of managing a flexible schedule, being reliable, and consistently on time.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including time sheets, reports, and schedules in an organized and timely manner. Provide advice and suggestions to Owner/President as needed.
- Fully understand and comply with all federal, state, county and municipal regulations that pertain to health, safety and labor requirements of the restaurants, establishment employees, and guests.
- Once hired, will need to shadow tours, study tour materials, and pass a role-play tour exam (30-60 days).
- Have a passion for & a thirst to learn more about: Charlotte’s past, present & future, the city’s cuisine & culture, the area’s culinary artisans, chefs, farmers, & restaurants, and the “why”/stories behind their crafts.
- Be 21 years of age and living in Charlotte for a minimum of 2 years.
- Have knowledge of service and food and beverage, generally involving at least two years in a type of customer service, hospitality, event planning, restaurant, sales, or improv/public speaking position.
- Be very detail oriented and have strong communication/storytelling skills to be able to speak to groups of people.
- Have reliable transportation.
- International travel experience recommended.
- Be empathetic and highly sensitive to people’s backgrounds, cultures, and differences.
- Must have an outgoing, fun, and friendly personality that enjoys meeting people, make great first impressions, can engage in small talk, and provides warm hospitality.
- Work a minimum of two (2) Saturdays per month. Each tour is 3.5 to 4 hours of time with guests and traditionally occur between the hours of 2:00pm – 7:00pm. Additional days and hours are available, if applicable to availability.
- Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 4 hours).
- Have the ability & willingness to commit to tour shifts up to 5 months in advance.
About FEAST & Next Steps
FEAST Food Tours & Culinary Events is a culinary tourism company showcasing Charlotte and the Charlotte area’s culinary scene through food tours, various in-depth culinary educational experiences, dining experiences, and excursions. Our mission is to enlighten and inspire guests about food and beverage and those that produce it through those memorable, fun, and unique experiences.
Our neighborhood walking food tours explore a variety of areas: Uptown, South End, NoDa, Plaza Midwood, and more. We provide guests with an exclusive look at the restaurants, chefs, and establishments that tell a particular story while getting to enjoy some of their delicious specialties. If you want to help us and be part of a fast-growing culinary scene in Charlotte, please complete the following directions:
- Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a Subject Line that includes your First & Last Names with reference to the Culinary Tour Guide position.
- Included in the email, provide a brief statement about why you think you’d make an awesome food tour guide – this is your first chance to show us your personality, knowledge, & passion (max. 500 words).
- State any previous experience, related experience, or credentials that you think would be relevant and/or attach a resume.
- State your availability and how long you have lived in Charlotte.
- One recent photograph of yourself (no larger than 2MG)
Only emails with complete information will be accepted. No phone calls, please. We will contact suitable candidates by email to set up an initial phone interview. Please give us a few weeks to respond.